As a kid, I spent lots of time reading…in the car…while other kids were outside playing…at school instead of listening to the teacher. As I got older, I kept reading. In junior high, I read while my friend entertained herself at our sleepover. (Sorry, Kate!) In college, I read in the library instead of studying. Once, after becoming a teacher, I read through the night until 5 a.m. The next day at school was a VERY long one.
Now, as an adult, I still read…while I eat lunch…as I brush my teeth…in the bathtub. (Sometimes the water turns cold before I get out!) Reading is a huge—and delightful—part of my life, so it makes perfect sense to me that I became a writer. Someday, I’d like to write something that will keep someone else up reading through the night!
My other loves are hiking, knitting, taking family road trips, cooking healthy meals, watching British mysteries, and spending time with my twin girls. I live with them, my non-reading-but-very-supportive husband, and a rescue cat named Tuxedo in Minnesota.
Other random facts about me:
- I can sing the alphabet backwards.
- I studied both Spanish and Russian in college. Hola and Privet!
- I am anosmic, which means I can’t smell. When I want to know if something stinks, I ask my husband to smell it. (He’s a very good sport.)
- I have a big box of diaries and journals dating back to first grade. If you ever want to know what I was doing on January 2, 1976, I can tell you!
- I helped build a wall around a Jamaican orphanage when I was fifteen.
- I love to make and eat my mom’s potato pancakes and homemade applesauce .
- I was the math fact champion of my fifth grade class.
- It took me six-and-a-half hours to read the final Harry Potter book—in one sitting.
- The first and last time I ate shrimp brains was in Malaga, Spain.
Favorite topics (fiction and nonfiction) that I’ve written about:
- Rearing and tagging Monarch butterflies
- Four baby robins in a nest outside my bedroom window
- How corn mazes are made
- Kids who’ve helped others in creative ways
- A skunk who sprayed his friends by mistake
- Goldilocks going to Fear Camp
- A girl who, with the help of magic, helped her father return safely home
- A pair of brother-sister unicyclists
- People with interesting occupations–like a crayon artist, a professional fisherman, and a braille transcriber
Favorite books, old and new:
- The Betsy-Tacy series and Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace
- The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Alvin Fernald series by Clifford B. Hicks
- The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series by Betty MacDonald
- Dancing Shoes by Noel Streatfield
- Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan
- The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald
- Two on an Island by Bianca Bradbury
- Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman
- The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
- The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter
- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- The Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins
- The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
- The Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier